Friday, January 8, 2010

Finding Rest: All that thou sayest unto me I will do.

Finding Rest: All that thou sayest unto me I will do.

Ruth 3:1 Then Naomi her mother in law said unto her, My daughter, shall I not seek rest for thee, that it may be well with thee?
3:2 And now is not Boaz of our kindred, with whose maidens thou wast? Behold, he winnoweth barley to night in the threshingfloor.
3:3 Wash thyself therefore, and anoint thee, and put thy raiment upon thee, and get thee down to the floor: but make not thyself known unto the man, until he shall have done eating and drinking.
3:4 And it shall be, when he lieth down, that thou shalt mark the place where he shall lie, and thou shalt go in, and uncover his feet, and lay thee down; and he will tell thee what thou shalt do.
3:5 And she said unto her, All that thou sayest unto me I will do.


It is Naomi's desire that Ruth rest from her labors. Ruth had already demonstrated her faithfulness to Naomi. Ruth placed Naomi's concerns above her own, and cared for her.

Who knows of the young men that Ruth had met among the reapers? Who knows what potential futures she sacrificed? Ruth certainly had her own will, and probably let that slip out a little:

Ruth 2:21 And Ruth the Moabitess said, He said unto me also, Thou shalt keep fast by my young men, until they have ended all my harvest.

Yet her mother-in-law gave her different advice.

Ruth 2:22 And Naomi said unto Ruth her daughter in law, It is good, my daughter, that thou go out with his maidens

And though Ruth had her own desires, she obeyed.

Ruth 2:23 So she kept fast by the maidens of Boaz to glean unto the end of barley harvest and of wheat harvest; and dwelt with her mother in law.

Now, Ruth is given more directions as to what she should do. When we read this story, is there not a progression? There is: and on more than one front. Ruth has been more than obedient. She has been submissive.

One may be obedient in doing what he/she is commanded to do, yet still maintain rebellion in the heart. Submission, on the other hand, goes beyond mere obedience. Submission is a surrender of the will. It carries with it an idea of weakness. Ruth was submissive to Naomi. In one sense, we might say that Ruth was weak and Naomi was strong in their relationship.

And she said unto her, All that thou sayest unto me I will do.

Ruth's obedience to Naomi's every command is a result of a submission that took place long before.

Ruth 1:14 And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.
1:15 And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.
1:16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:
1:17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me
.

It was Ruth's submission and commitment to Naomi's welfare that led her to work in the fields: by her own desire and without commandment to be obedient. She did good without being told to do so. No command requiring obedience, but simple submission born out of love. Is there even a comparison?

Ruth 2:2 And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find grace. And she said unto her, Go, my daughter.

Ruth submitted herself to Naomi. She was committed to Naomi's welfare. When Ruth went out into the fields, Naomi was magnified. Ruth brought honor to herself by her conduct, and that reflected back on the house of Naomi. When she returned home, Naomi was glorified. Ruth brought in more than what was expected.

In all things Ruth had already proven herself. Now for the progression. Naomi has some specifics for Ruth to do. It requires some boldness. It requires submission at a new and different level. It will not be easy and will require preparation. There is an element of risk.

But is that not how God works with all of those He desires to conform to the image of His Son? Jesus was born to a single purpose. He lived His life in preparation for that purpose. Do you think it will be any different for you?

1 Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

Maybe you are still in preparation, but know your calling. Are you submissive to your King or are you just obedient to a Law? Submission will take you places mere obedience cannot begin to fathom.

But understand the preparation and progression in your own life. Your time will come. And the end result is REST. But it will not be without willingly becoming weak that He may be strong. It will not come without trusting Him over that fear because of what is at risk. It will not come without humility. But when it becomes your turn, will you be able to answer your King as Ruth said to Naomi:

All that thou sayest unto me I will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment