Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Kinsman who could not Redeem

Ruth 4:6 And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I mar mine own inheritance: redeem thou my right to thyself; for I cannot redeem it.

As long as things looked clear-cut, this man was ready to do his part. But when adversity was presented, he refused. Concerned for his own inheritance, he chose not to redeem, and will walk off the pages of Scripture a nameless individual. The name of Boaz, on the other hand, will later be found written in the Temple itself! (1 Kings 7:21)

Matthew 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

In this story, as in most Biblical stories, where we rightly look for "types" of Christ (for they testify of Him), we also see a contrast played out between two individuals. We have Boaz, whose name carries both a meaning of "strength" and "swiftness". He is the kinsman-redeemer. Like Christ, who became as one of us (kinsman), who also redeemed us by His own precious blood (sacrifice), Boaz is Naomi's kinsman; and he is willing to sacrifice his inheritance to marry Ruth, and resurrect a name from among the dead. We also see the Church as the bride of Christ, as primarily Gentile. The bride of Boaz, the kinsman-redeemer, is also a Gentile. The other individual, who is first in line to redeem, is nameless. Governed by the Law, he is held back. He cannot redeem.

The Law never redeemed anyone. Certainly it provided the sacrifice and offering, which also pointed to Christ; but in and of itself, it had no redeeming value.

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

In this small event in a small town thousands of years ago, we have a picture. There is one whose values have placed him, for a moment, on a plane that rises higher than the Law, on a parallel with Jesus Christ Himself. Some, who elevate the Law more than others, might take offense. And yet, it was because of the Law that people were offended by Jesus Christ during His earthly ministry. And while we do not intend to diminish the holiness of the Law of God as given through Moses, we do know that our God has even a higher principle; and we see this principle at work in the revealed lives of both Boaz and Ruth.

Mica 6:6 Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old?
6:7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

No comments:

Post a Comment